Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goals For 2013

New Years Eve and New Years Day are my very least favourite holidays and days of the year. Not sure why. Maybe it is the feeling that Christmas is over. Maybe I have never really liked the parties. 
Anyways, one thing I do like is making plans and goals for myself. I don't always achieve these goals, but I do love dreaming about them and it is very satisfying to check something off the list.
So, here are my new plans for 2013:

1. Expand the chicken coop and the chicken coop garden. I want a bigger run so that I can have maybe 4 or so chickens this year. More mouths to feed=more eggs needed! Also, I want to expand the garden around it, as it remains the most productive garden in our yard. I like that it is a mixture of flowers and  vegetables and herbs. Edible and ornamental!

2. Hatch some chicks and raise more chickens.
 3. Make some jam again! Last Summer I didn't end up making any, being too busy with our new baby and we have missed it all year! So this year I want to make my annual batch of nectarine jam, plus jams from local wild berries.
 4.  I'd like to try making more dandelion recipes (I just ordered a book, Edible Garden Weeds of Canada !)
 5. Drink some Dandelion Wine. I hope it turns out! I might try making another batch of it this year if it tastes any good!
 6. The big project of the year: Grow some wheat!
 7. Head out East to make some maple syrup. Isn't this a beautiful graphic?
Image here

8. Knit my temperature scarf! (Sorry I can't get the image to flip, it is being very stubborn!) Everyday, I will knit one row in the colour corresponding to the day's high temperature (rounded to the nearest 5 degrees). At the end of the year, I should have a very colourful record of our temperatures. It will be neat to see!

Hmmm, those are all the goals I can think of for now. As always, I will also attempt to try any new craft thing that comes my way. I wonder how many of my goals will be met this time next year? Do you have any new goals you have set for yourself?

4 comments:

  1. I am wondering how the dandelion wine might taste...

    Do you know that you can make some kind of "honey" - this is how we call it in Germany "dandelion honey" - it is kind of a jam - from dandelion? I can provide you with the recipe.

    Good luck with your new year's goals!
    Amgela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! I would love that recipe, Angela! Sounds delicious!
      If you want to email it to me, my email is kristennutbrown@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I'm loving your goals- the jams sound delish and the dandelion wine! yum. We made some beet wine this fall and it turned out great- we blend it with our other homemade grape wines- I bet a dandi-beet combo or beer would be good....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, beet wine sounds good. Dandelion beer also sounds strangely appealing, although I don't like beer (I know, I know).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...