Friday, February 1, 2013

Skep to my Lou!

Sorry for the cheesy pun, I get it from my mother (and maybe my father too!). Yesterday I built a skep (traditional beehive) from grasses that I collected from the forest during our walk. This one is just for decoration since it is illegal to keep bees in skeps in Canada. For years I  have had this website bookmarked and finally decided to give skepmaking a go. I don't have the proper materials for making a skep (I don't know where to get brambles for the binder in these parts, and I also don't have any access to long straw), so I improvised with wild grasses and some twine to  make my own "shabby chic" version. It was actually a quick process and I was done in about an hour and a half. I love the way it looks in the garden. Yippee!

 Aaaaand January is over and done with! Welcome February, you lovely short month! Check out my Temperature scarf for January. See all that yellow? Those are days above freezing. And the big yellow strip is the Pineapple express. And the blue before it was that little cold snap. It is so neat to see the story of last month knitted out like this. I am really surprised to see how many days were above freezing. We live in the North for goodness sakes! I am expecting our coldest cold snap in February: "When the days get longer, the cold gets stronger."
And back to the title of this post, I am skipping with excitement on this Friday! I contacted my contact ;) and I am going to be picking up some eggs to hatch for someone in a week. I am so excited to hatch eggs again!
Ooooo, and tonight I am going to watch a play. Smiles for Friday :)
What is new and wonderful in your lives right now?

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear all about your eggs! Keep us posted! Hope the play was good too. I didn't do too much because I wasn't feeling so great, but I am very excited because my business cards came today! One step closer to putting my little business all together. Hope you had a good Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, yay for your business cards, that is exciting!
      The play went well, and I will definitely keep you posted on the eggs. I am so excited!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, and you did a lovely job with the skep. I had no idea they weren't allowed in Canada - interesting bit of info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting? They are illegal in the states too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kris! It is so lovely to come on here and read your posts! I am loving the temperature scarf! I am going to try it for this month...the skep is awesome too- I cant wait to try these- I have been inspired by you in about 5 seconds of coming back on blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad to see you back Natasha!!!

      Delete
  4. I was just sitting here at work thinking about my own temperature scarf and being all happy about it, so I thought I'd pop in and say Thank You for the idea and for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing that Lyn! It made me happy too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...