Sunday, August 12, 2012

Knitting! Woodland Fox Baby

* New! There is now a Norwegian translation, thanks to MereteIsabell from Ravelry. Click here for the link.*

 Time for a new knitting pattern! This one I designed for my little boy's Halloween costume. Since we have a lot of foxes in the Fort, I thought it would be cute if he dressed like one. I only have one size available for the hat, if you require a bigger size, you could always use any other plain hat pattern and then attach the ears on top.
 Woodland Fox Baby Hat

Yarn:
Main colour (mc): Bernat Softee Chunky in Pumpkin
Contrast Colour 1 (cc1): Patons Shetland Chunky in Charcoal
Contrast Colour 2 (cc2): Patons Shetland Chunky in White

Needles:
5mm double pointed needles (dpn's) and 5mm straight needles

Gauge: 6 stitches and 8 rows = 2inches

Measurement:
circumference 16-18 inches (My baby is 1.5 months and it is very loose on him. He will have lots of room to grow into it)

Abbreviations:
cc1-contrast colour 1
cc2-contrast colour 2
dpn's-double pointed needles
k-knit
k2tog-knit two together
k1f&b-knit one front and back
mc-main colour
p-purl
p2tog-purl two together
ssk-slip slip knit
st-stitches

 Hat Pattern:
With main colour, cast on 48 st on dpn's. Join in the round, being careful not to twist stitches.
row 1: k1, p1 around
Continue for 3 more rows.
Next row: k around and repeat until hat measures 3.5inches from the start.
next row: k6, k2tog, repeat around circle
next row: k around
next row:k5, k2tog, repeat around circle
next row: k around
next row: k4, k2tog, repeat around circle
next row: k around
next row: k3, k2tog, repeat around circle
next row: k2, k2tog, repeat around circle
next row: k1, k2tog, repeat around circle
next row: k2tog, repeat around circle
last row: k2tog, repeat around circle. Cut yarn, weave through remaining 3 stitches, pull tight, bind off and weave in ends.


 Outer Ear Pattern:
With mc on 5mm straight needles cast on 10st, leaving a long tail (for sewing later)
Row 1: k
Row 2: p
Repeat rows 1 and 2, two more times.
Row 7: k1,ssk, k4, k2tog, k1
Row 8: p
Row 9: k1, ssk, k2, k2tog, k1
Row10: p
Row 11: Switch to contrast colour 1 (charcoal), k1, ssk, k2tog, k1
Row 12: p
Row 13: ssk, k2tog
Row 14: p
Row 15: k2tog, bind off, weave in ends, except for long tail at the base (use it to sew ear onto the hat.)

Inner Ear:
With cc2 (white), cast on 8st on 5mm straight needles, leaving a long tail (for sewing later).
Row 1: k
Row 2: p
Repeat the first 2 rows  1 more time.
Row 5: k1, ssk, k2, k2tog, k1
Row 6: p
Row 7: k1, ssk, k2tog, k1
Row 8: p
Row 9: ssk, k2tog
Row 10: p2tog. Bind off, weave in top end and use long tail at the base to sew the inner ear onto the outer ear in the center, being careful to only sew through the top knitted loops on the the outer year so that no white stitches show through on the back of the ear.
Make two ears and then sew to the top of the hat.


Tail Pattern:

With dpn's and mc, cast on 6 st. Join in the round.
k 3 rows.
Next row: k1, k1f&b, around the circle
Next row: k

Repeat these two rows three more times (28st on needles)

Next row: k. Continue to knit in the round until tail measures 7inches from the start.
Switch to cc2 (white). Knit in the round until work measures 9 inches from the start. Stuff with polyester stuffing as you go.
Next row: k1, k2tog, around the circle until there is one stitch in that row, k1.
Next row: k
Repeat these last 2 rows two more times.
Next row: k1, k2tog, around the circle 
Next row: k2tog around circle. Bind off, weave in ends. Sew or pin tail onto pants.


Also check out my pattern for the Woodland Stag/Deer Baby!


And that's it! Please let me know if you find any errors in the pattern and if you have any suggestions. I also love to hear from people who made the pattern and enjoyed it. Please check out my other patterns on my blog and add me on raverly :honeynutbrown.

37 comments:

  1. He's the cutest little fox baby I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many double pointed needles do you use in the round? I have never used them before and I am not sure what amount to use and how to split the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When using dp's it is easier if you put a smaller amount of stitches on your first needle so you do not have to use a stitch marker for the start of the round. So for the above example of 48 sts I would put 10 on my first needle and 14 on the other two.

      Delete
  3. This is so freaking cute! And funny because I was thinking about being a fox for Halloween myself this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used 4 double pointed needles (3 to hold the stitches and 1 to knit with) and I just spread the stitches as evenly as possible between the 3 needles. You may be able to find tutorials online on how to use dpns. (sorry it took me so long to get back to you, your comment was in my spam folder for some reason).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now... Where on earth can I find pants like that!? I feel like that will be a tough color!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they might be Carter's (the store) pants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I don't have nay for sale :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you allow these to be made for a local craft show?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderfully creative and so stinkin' cute! Will start today for my brand new 2nd cousin who was born into the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, sounds like a cutie. Glad you like the pattern! I'd love to see a picture when you are done! Are you on ravelry?

      Delete
  11. Wanted to let you know this project was highlighted on the at play blog today!

    http://atplayonline.com/2013/07/26/515/

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked it out! Awesome Megan, thanks!

      Delete
  12. I know this might be a dumb question...but can this be don with circular needles instead? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question! It may be able to be done on circular needles, but you would need to find one with a cable short enough to do a baby hat. I'm not sure if they make them small enough and sometimes it is hard to manoeuvre the needles on a small hat. If you don't like using double pointed needles, you could adapt the pattern to knit flat too- instead of knitting every row, purl the wrong side rows (and do p2tog on the wrong side rows that would be k2tog if it was in the round) and then sew up the seam.

      Delete
    2. I know this is very late, but another option for circulars is to use "magic loop" method. I'm sure you can look it up on YouTube. you use extra long circulars and pull out the "extra" cable. I make socks this way. my favorite needles for this are ChiaoGoo red lace.

      Delete
    3. That's a great idea! I have done the magic loop method a few times before, but do find it slows me down a bit.

      Delete
  13. I just knitted the hat, and it's suer cute! You can see pics here: http://bookwormscloset.com/foxy-ears/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable! What size would this fit to do you think? Would love to make one for my future grandson but he will be born in the late spring so it would be too hot to wear it while he is still little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably fit up to 2 or 3 months. But if you check out some of my other hat patterns, there are some larger size hats you can make and then add the ears to it. Just click on the "Knitting Patterns" tab on the top of the page, and it will take you to some of my other patterns. You could try this one http://400squareftliving.blogspot.ca/2013/10/knitting-woodland-stagdeer-baby-hat.html

      Delete
  15. What weight of yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I was able to knit the hat just fine, but I'm having issues with the tail. I ended up with 27 stitches instead of 28. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, not too sure. You might just be missing one k1f&b. Just increase one more stitch and then follow the rest of the pattern. I double checked the first part of the pattern, and it seems to be correct.

      Delete
  17. How much yarn of each color do you need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than 1 skein of the white and black, and if I remember correctly, probably just one of the orange, but you may want two to be safe.

      Delete
  18. Love this set, found it to be an easy pattern to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the pattern! A couple notes - I recommend adding to "join in the round" for the tail after the cast on. It is assumed to be knitted in the round but the instructions never say to join. Also for the inner ear, the ssk and k2tog are reversed for rows 5 and 7.

    I made my daughter the outfit to go with a sweater I made her as her first Halloween costume. Can't wait to put it on her tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to try this pattern. My sister wants it for her grandson-to-be. I will be changing the fox into a wolf by using gray yarn instead of orange.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This pattern is my first time working with double pointed needles. I made the hat to problem, but now I'm trying to make the tail and keep getting twisted up (I think because the pattern starts with so few stiches). Any recommendations? Can I do it on straight needles or start using circulars? Thanks for any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...